Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DIY Dog Bed

I have gone through about 6 dog beds...and let me tell you they are not cheap! I started off with 2 for my bulldog, which immediatly got chewed. His crate then resorted to old towels bunched together to make it softer because I couldn't afford one more. Once the next puppy came along, I made the mistake of buying yet another dog bed, this time from Home goods, but still not that cheap. 2 days later....destroyed. I started thinking about how I could make them my own so I don't keep wasting money.

1. Fleece - $3.95 a yard, 2.25 yards - Hancock Fabrics
2. Pillows (2 small or 1 large) - $2-3 dollars - Dollar Store or Thrift Store
3. Scissors
4. Learn to tie a knot

It's that easy and cheap! Cut the fabric into two squares of identical size to fit the pillow allowing 4-6 inches of extra fabric on each side. Cut 1-3 inches of strips surrounding the entire pillow. Tie the bottom strip to the top strip with a knot. Repeat process all the way around and you have a dog bed that is less than $15.

Needless to say this has been the second one I have made but the second puppy is now almost 1 and done with his chewing phase!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I HAD to try this last night, and I love it! We don't have issues with chewing (yet) but those beds are just way too expensive.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it! Hancock Fabrics or Joanne's is always having sales on fleece too! And for those summer days I just made one with a lighter fabric so the bullie stays cool :)

      Delete