Tuesday, October 25, 2011

1970's tv stand...revamped!

So i needed a side table for my sleeper chair in my office. I kept feeling bad that guests staying over had nowhere to put phones, drinks, etc.....but I had no money to go find a side table to matter how cute or discounted.

Well it just so happened that my boyfriend was throwing out an old dinged up plain wood tv stand. My initial reaction..."what are you crazy? I'll take it!"

1. Satin white spray paint - already had from previous project
2. Stencil - I found one from Martha Stewart that I liked. I took a picture of it at Home Depot, printed the picture, traced it onto a sheet of plexi-glass and cut it out. Total $3 instead of $14.
3. Silver paint - I knew I only needed a little so I bought a 'sample size' from Home depot, $1.
4. Dish sponge - I wanted the antique look.

Start spray painting! It took me about 2 coats, a full can of spray paint to ensure an even coating and no splotching. Once dry, I placed the stencils in the corners holding them in place with painters tape. Sponge on the silver paint and then carefully peel up the stencil to move to the next corner. All in all it took me about 30 minutes, and I have a new table for guests.



It may not be perfect but it certainly does the trick. The wicker baskets are from ikea, in case you wanted to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment