Wednesday, November 9, 2011

DIY Headboard...my first one!

Somewhat cheap...but way cheaper than buying one! This requires help from some friends and a large floor space.

1. Plywood - just depends on how high and wide you would like it. I bouth the 2 inch thickness
2. Batting - home goods- I bought 1 in. because it was cheaper and just did 3 layers of it
3. Crazy glue/adhesive - Home goods/ Home Depot
3. Fabric- to your liking - Make sure you have at least 4-6 inches extra on all sides
4. Buttons - If you would like the tufted look
5. Brackets for mounting
6. Staple gun

Lay your fabric on the floor face down. Try to make it as smooth as possible, I put large books on each corner so it would not wrinkle.

Simply coat the plywood with your glue (I used just about the whole bottle) and lay your batting down on top. Smooth out wrinkles and add layers to your liking. Flip the plywood over on top of the fabric you set out. The plywood should be facing up now with your batting/fabric underneath. Begin stretching the batting and fabric to wrap around the plywood, placing approximately 3-4 staples to hold it in place.

Once all the fabric is lightly stapled stand the headboard up to ensure there are no wrinkles/stretching on the front. Once smooth, staple completely around the back. I used approximately 2in. in between.



If you notice the top of my headboard, it looks like its pulling in areas. This is because I pulled the fabric too tight on the back causing it to ripple in the front. Make sure to not pull too tight when stapling or else this will happen. :( woops!

Once I mounted my headboard using socket brackets, I measured out where I wanted my buttons to be placed. This picutre makes the pulling look odd, but it really only pulls in where each button is. NO SEWING! yay!! i simply placed a criss cross pattern with the staples where i wanted the buttons to be. This will pull in the fabric at that spot to create the illusion of stitching. Hot glue the buttons on top and you are done!!

ps- sorry for the messy bed, my dog decided to have a field day.

No comments:

Post a Comment